Vitamin D fights all phases of Influenza
- FACT: Vitamin D PREVENTS Influenza 7X lower risk
- FACT: Vitamin D TREATS Influenza ( Vitamin D Hammer )
- Single dose of 50,000 IU of vitamin D stops Influenza symptoms
- FACT: Vitamin D PREVENTS & TREATS Sepsis which is a rare but deadly consequence of Influenza
- FACT: Vitamin D enhances the activity of vaccines.
- FACT: Vitamin D has virtually no side effects
- but 1 in 300 get people get muscle pain or itching due to lower magnesium levels
- FACT: Vitamin D prevents/treats over 120 health problems (left column)
- FACT: Do not take vitamin D if Sarcoidosis, excess Calcium, Chemotherapy
- CONCLUSION To help protect/treat influenza, take 50,000 IU of Vitamin D once a week
during the flu season if you are an average weight adult
- Children should take less, proportional to weight
- Example: 25,000 IU if child weighs 75 lbs, 12,000 IU if child weighs 35 lbs
- Take the single dose once a week to get a vitamin D response which peaks
- Note: The peak resulting from daily dosing is about 5X smaller
- Best taken with evening meal (stays in the gut longer)
Other References on this page
- Grand Challenge - stop another flu pandemic - Gates Foundation, April 2018
- More about Vitamin D
- Vitamin D and Influenza on Vitamin D Life
- Flu web before 2018
- Flu web Jan 2018
- Flu web Feb 2018
- Increased flu deaths probably due to Sepsis
- Tamiflu: expensive, little benefit, variety of side effects - Jan/Feb 2018
- Web Feb 2018
- ~30X more seniors now dying of flu than children
- What Bill Gates Fears Most The Atlantic April 2018
"The threat of a flu pandemic clouds even his legendary optimism, so he's launching an initiative to prevent one".
Institute of Disease Modeling predicts that a severe flu pandemic could kill more than 33 million people in just 250 days.
..."the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, together with Alphabet’s Larry Page and his family, are launching a $12 million grand challenge to spur research into a universal flu vaccine" announced April 27, 2018
The challenge was also reported in Washington Post, The Telegraph Scientific American
Full text and graphics of the presentation
Ending the Pandemic Threat: A Grand Challenge for Universal Influenza Vaccine Development - Grand Challenge @ Gates Foundation
- Influenza of 1918 and vitamin D - July 2010 Dr. Grant
- Cities with UVB ==> less influenza. Also, more UVB==> less pneumonia and death (via Sepsis?)
- Highlights of Vitamin D Wiki
- 1 capsule of 50,000 IU = 25 capsules of 2,000 IU (commonly available in pharmacies, groceries)
- Toxic dose of Vitamin D = 2,000,000 IU daily for an entire week
Flu dose ( 50,000 IU ) is thus 280 X smaller than the toxic dose
Response to large doses of vitamin D
- Response to 150,000 IU vitamin D monthly, 5,000 IU daily – RCT May 2014
Includes estimated response to single dose 50,000 IU vs 7,000 IU daily for a week
- Vitamin D – individual responses to 100,000 IU – March 2017
- Vitamin D probably can both prevent Influenza and augment vaccine prevention – Aug 2018
- Influenza prevented by 40 ng levels or treated with vitamin D hammer (50,000 IU) – June 2015
- 7X less risk of influenza if Vitamin D levels higher than 30 ng (no shot needed) – Oct 2017
- How you can greatly cut your chance of getting the flu (vitamin D just twice a month)
- Overview Influenza and vitamin D has the following:
800 IU vitamin D is much better than vaccine, and 2000 IU vitamin D is far better
- Influenza of 1918 and vitamin D - July 2010
- This Vitamin Shown to Be Almost 10 Times More Effective Than the Flu Shot – Feb 2017 Mercola
- Influenza virus vaccine for pregnant woman does not protect an infant for very long – July 2016
- Prisoners have very low vitamin D and get TB, influenza, and depression
Includes the story of how Dr. Cannell of Vitamin D Council "discovered" that Vitamin D prevents influenza
- Group of people with a good level of Vitamin D 50% Flu prevention 16% ==> 8%
Influenza -A infections half as often in children getting 1200 IU of vitamin D – RCT Jan 2018
- Influenza -A infections half as often in children getting 1200 IU of vitamin D – RCT Jan 2018 = H3N2
Note:Flu lasted about half as long for those getting 1200 IU of vitamin D
- Influenza Vitamin D Council, 2015, with 29 references
"If get influenza, you can safely take 50,000 IU/day for 5 days to try and fight off the infection." adults
- VITAMIN D VS THE FLU VACCINE - IS THERE A STAND-OUT WINNER? Sept 2017
1.4% fewer people got the flu as a result of vaccination - Cochrain Review 2014
7.8 % fewer kids got the flu as a result of 1200 IU Vitamin D daily - 2010
- The study on Vitamin D Life Influenza reduced by 1.7 with 1200 IU D3
- Update Influenza -A infections half as often in children getting 1200 IU of vitamin D – RCT Jan 2018
- This flu season has now reached pandemic levels (but it's not technically a pandemic) Feb 9 Washington Post
"But the predominant one (in 2018), H3N2, is a particularly nasty strain that is associated with more complications, hospitalizations and deaths, especially among children, those older than 65 and people with certain chronic conditions."
"In particular, officials are seeing unusually high levels of hospitalizations in non-elderly adults, with the rates for 50-to-64-year-olds significantly higher than what they were at the same period in the severe 2014-2015 season with the same predominant flu strain."
- People at High Risk of Developing Flu–Related Complications CDC, Jan 2018
9 of the 10 high risk conditions listed are associated with low vitamin D
- The Best Flu Treatment For You Consumer Reports Feb 12, 2018
"In the case of one vitamin—vitamin D—some research does suggest that supplements may modestly reduce the risk of upper respiratory infection such as a cold or flu. But those results were mainly seen in people who were very deficient in the vitamin."
Note: Most people are Vitamin D Deficient
"Americans will spend close to $3 billion on dietary supplements touted to help fend off colds and flu—or minimize symptoms—this year alone, according to the Nutrition Business Journal"
This Flu Season Is the Worst in Nearly a Decade - Jan 26, 2018 New York Times
- "It is now on track to equal or surpass that of the 2014-2015 flu season. In that year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates,
34 million Americans got the flu,
710,000 were hospitalized and about
- "According to the C.D.C.’s weekly FluView, 6.6 percent of all patients visiting doctors now have flu symptoms. The 2014-2015 season peaked at 6 percent, while the 2009 “swine flu” season peaked at 7.7 percent."
- "This season is closely paralleling the 2014-2015 season, which was dominated by the same H3N2 flu strain and was also “moderately severe.”"
- "Almost 6 percent of all Americans seeking medical care now have flu symptoms. "
"The 2014-15 and 2012-13 flu seasons also peaked at close to 6 percent. "
- "Even in a mild year, flu kills about 12,000 Americans, the C.D.C. estimates. In a bad year, it kills up to 56,000."
- "The shot’s efficacy here has not yet been calculated because the virus is still spreading, but experts expect it to be about 30 percent."
- "And in the week ending January 6, 22.7 out of every 100,000 hospitalizations in the U.S. were for flu—twice the number of the previous week"
- "The dominant circulating strain this year is H3N2, which hits humans harder than other strains. Scientists don’t really know why, but flu seasons where H3N2 have dominated in the past have tended to be worse"
- "Second, the vaccine. This year’s vaccine was only 10 percent effective against the problematic H3N2 strain in Australia"
- "This does not mean that the flu vaccine this year is useless. It still protects against other strains of flu such as H1N1 and B virus, and it provides at least some immunity to H3N2."
- "For example, here is the conclusion of the review titled, "Vaccines for preventing seasonal influenza and its complications in people aged 65 or older," "
""The available evidence is of poor quality and provides no guidance regarding the safety, efficacy or effectiveness of influenza vaccines for people aged 65 years or older."
There have been virtually no safety studies for single vaccines, and no safety study for multiple vaccines given in the same year
The article refers the reader to Vitamin D Life for more information
Study shows < 6 months of age most at risk of flu death - Feb 2018
Reporting on a study in Pediactrics
Of those that died, "about 65% died within 7 days of symptom onset."
Note: The word sepsis does not occur once in the report or abstract. The study is behind a paywall,, 10.1542/peds.2017-2918
- Sepsis and Influenza Sepsis Alliance - Dec 2017
Flu ==> pneumonia, pneumonia + hospital ==> Sepsis
- Special Alert: The Alarming Reason Some People Die From the Flu Mercola Feb 1 2018
The increase in flu deaths in children and elderly this year may be due to Sepsis, not the flu directly
- The complex link between influenza and severe sepsis - Jan 2014
Download the PDF from Vitamin D Life
- Influenza and sepsis: Mayo expert describes warning signs of severe sepsis, septic shock Mayo, Jan 2015
See Vitamin D Life Vitamin D reduces Sepsis duration and death
Note: Apparently only Vitamin D does all of the following
1) Prevents the Flu, 2) Treats the Flu, 3) Prevents and Treats Sepsis
Has the following chart: Severe sepsis increased 3.5X in a decade
- "The CDC and the World Health Organization recommend the drug as effective. The FDA and the European Medicines Agency approve Tamiflu for the treatment and prevention of flu. Tamiflu can lessen symptoms and make flu illness one to two days shorter, the CDC says"
- Cochrane review of Tamilfu - April 2014
"The review confirms small benefits on symptom relief, namely shortening duration of symptoms by half a day on average. However, there is little evidence to support any belief that use of NIs reduces hospital admission or the risk of developing confirmed pneumonia. The evidence also suggests that there are insufficient grounds to support the use of NIs in preventing the person-to-person spread of influenza."
- Tamiflu Is An Effective Flu Treatment, Still Has Side Effects: Study Jan 2015
"drug increased side effects, such as nausea (3.7 percent) and vomiting (4.7 percent)."
"Also, you should know that Tamiflu is expensive. A 5-day course of the drug will cost at least $100.
- Tamiflu and Abnormal Behavior GreenMed Info Feb 2018
"Why NEVER to take Tamiflu" Many of the scientific papers were written by the big-pharma compnay producing the product
2009 "meta-analysis showed that there was no significant evidence that Tamiflu reduced influenza symptoms or complications – the only possible positive association was that Tamiflu might decrease the length of time people exhibited symptoms by a few hours.14 Further, the reanalysis found that Tamiflu increased nausea."
"A 2011 Japanese study found that those diagnosed with influenza had an almost six fold increased risk of deteriorating and dying within twelve hours of receiving Tamiflu."
- "..25 percent effective against the H3N2 strain of flu that is causing most illnesses and deaths..."
- ".. 51 percent effective in children.."
- "..studies like the C.D.C.’s suggest that flu shots do a better job of preventing death than preventing sniffles and aches.."
The CDC's Fictional Flu Death Stats and Tamiflu's Lethal Side Effects GreenMedInfo Feb 14, 2018
- "“CDC’s strategy to use fear to ramp up flu vaccine sales requires the agency to exaggerate both flu risks and vaccine efficacy. Pharmaceutical companies and public health officials vastly overstate flu cases and deaths in order to market influenza “as a threat of great proportions.” Simple fact-checking shows that since October 2017, only 14.7% of the almost 447,000 “flu” specimens tested by clinical laboratories working with CDC have tested positive for influenza"
- Speculates that many of the FLU deaths are realy deaths due to the use of Tamiflu or the Flu vaccine
- Rat studies found 100X increase in Tamiflu in infant brains vs adult brains - blood brain barrier had not yet been developed
Daiy Mail -about Australia
Also: Seniors get far less protection from the flu by vaccines
URL for this page = https://www.vitad.org/flu
Note: This page was renamed Feb 15, 2018. before rename it had 1,000 visitors